Monday, July 16, 2012

Cassette Playa SS13 Blood Rites


 "This video is part of a month long residency at Weltkuren Museum exploring male initiation rituals. Sepik River scarfication in Papua New Guinea, Kayapo body art in Amazonian and UK teen rites – football, boxing and tattooing. I was particularly interested in the Sepik River - especiallythe relationship between the initiated boys and their maternal uncle (not father) who supports them throughout the painful ceremony. As in Kayapo culture it is this maternal uncle who also teaches the boys the skills and knowledge they need to make the transition from boy to man. When I looked at UK culture I found no such traditions and when I spoke with male friends found that many struggled to think of a male role model when a teenager, only one of the 25 men I talked with said they saw their father or uncle as a role model. Instead they looked to sportsmen and musicians as inspirations of manhood"

Still shots take by me....watch video here












No comments:

Take note!!!

Terencesambowrites.blogspot.com claims no credit for any images featured on this site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyright to it's respectful owners. If you own rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear here, please contact me and they will be promptly removed.