Friday, March 6, 2009

Justin Wu

Justin Wu's work speaks at full volume in an industry saturated with wannabes. He is from Canada and is currently studying in Paris. He has worked with a couple of magazines and upcoming talents not only as photographer but also styling some of his shoots.At what age did you develop an interest in Photography?

I started as a fine-art photographer exhibiting in galleries a few years ago when I was about 19 and had the sole pursuit of using photography to express my ideas. I originally spent my younger years painting and sketching, but once my parents bought me my first camera as a Christmas gift, I knew photography was my medium. Now I pursue fashion photography for my career. What interested me the most was that it combined both of my passions of art and fashion together and lets me to collaborate with other talented and creative individuals.

When did you start professionally?

I started working professionally a couple years ago (2007) when some developing models that wanted to improve their books for agencies first scouted me. Since then, I was put in contact with local agencies in Toronto, Canada began working with stylists, local designers, and have been working on bigger and larger projects ever since. Now that I have moved to Paris I am determined to continue that growth and work with talent across Europe over the next year.

What was it like working with modeling and styling agencies?

The experience has been spectacular and rewarding thus far. Having worked with modeling agencies including Elite Model Management and Next Models from their Toronto Branch and styling agencies also based out of Toronto, it opened my eyes to the world of fashion from this side of the business. I've met wonderful talent who shared with me their global experiences and creativity. It definitely reassured me that this was my ideal career path.

What are the difficulties present in a career as a photographer?

The main difficulties are mainly dealing with and attracting new clients.Since this industry is built upon creativity and communication of ideas. Often a large collaboration of stylists, designers, and the photographer can lead to some conflicts in the vision. However, I have learned to chiefly always satisfy the client's needs. Lastly, in this age where photography has become so commonplace, it is becoming increasingly difficult to make one's portfolio stand out. I now specialize in creating editorial series which I tell more of a story than portraits.

What's your ultimate goal as regards your career?

My ultimate goal would be to be signed by a reputable photography agency and have the opportunity to work on major fashion campaigns and shoot for global fashion magazines.While I'm in Paris over the next year, I hope to use this time to establish myself and work across Europe with established and young, upcoming talent.

Check out more of his work at http://www.jwuphoto.com/

6 comments:

Seeker said...

Very interesting pictures and great interview!!!
That's a great post.

Thank you do much, hun, for all your support on my blog.
But I'm afraid I have no magazine to send a thing.

Have a great weekend
xoxo

Kati said...

The last picture is very impressing!

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous interview and photos, T! It must be incredibly inspirational for him to be living in Paris!

xoxox,
CC

Terence Sambo said...

ok The Seeker :o)

Terence Sambo said...

yep Cathy :o)

Terence Sambo said...

Well CC i dnt know who wnt be inspired by Paris :oD

Take note!!!

Terencesambowrites.blogspot.com claims no credit for any images featured on this site unless otherwise noted. All visual content is copyright to it's respectful owners. If you own rights to any of the images, and do not wish them to appear here, please contact me and they will be promptly removed.